Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First Post - Intro & Linux Memory tips

Ah ha! So after many many (10+ years) of relying on other websites, blogs, etc for gathering needed information on day-to-day linux systems administration tasks, scripts, how-to's and all that other fancy stuff; I finally decided to create my own blog to share my experiences, sys admin scripts, and little pointers in the Linux Systems Administration world.

As stated earlier, I have been a linux systems admin off-and-on since 1997, both as a Sys Admin, Linux Sys Admin Instructor for a computer consulting company, and even a Sun Solaris Systems Engineer for a large web tool development company. Currently I am the Linux Systems Administrator for a company out in the midwest.

So, from time to time I will be posting various sys-admin scripts that I have written during the week, tips and tricks on how to get things functional in a Mixed OS environment (such as Samba w/ Active Directory Sync, SQUID & Active Directory, etc).

These posts follow what pit-falls that I ran into for the day, and how I solved each one with whatever script, how-to, etc.

So, today is nice and quick (slow day at work).

I was asked by one of the developers how to check swap space in linux:

free -t -m (shows total memory and in megabytes)

also:

vmstat (reports virtual memory statistics, -s for counter & mem stats, -s m for summary in megabytes)

No comments:

Post a Comment